Roy Stanley Copp founded Copp Systems in 1920 from a storefront on Monument Avenue in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Copp was an engineer and a member of the “Dayton Boys,” a group of young engineers and students interested in new technology.
Copp began selling and servicing RCA living room consoles in the early 20’s to prominent Dayton families like the Wrights, the Deeds and the Ketterings. Home radio consoles represented a vital link to the outside world, and Dayton residents chose Copp for his skilled, punctual, and reliable service.
As business grew and new technologies emerged, Copp began to offer public address systems for businesses and factories. He also designed and built AM radio stations, providing towers and equipment to local companies. Copp’s company then developed the first secure system of communication between what was then the Wright and Patterson Fields (later to become Wright-Patterson Air Force Base) and Washington, DC.
In the 1940’s, as the country began its irreversible move to television, Copp continued its service and kept its service tradition, and kept the cathode ray tubes burning in Dayton.
In the early 1960’s, Copp’s location expanded to keep pace with the increase in business. Our office moved to its present location on Keowee Street. Tom Frericks, Jr. joined the company in 1976 and purchased it in 1983 as its second owner. The company continued to thrive while adding numerous communications systems to its catalogue of offerings.
In 2012, William DeFries became owner and CEO of the company, with Frericks staying on as President and General Manager until 2015. Today, Copp Systems specializes in the service, design, and engineering of intrusion systems, fire alarms, card entry systems, audio and visual solutions and other “low voltage” technologies.